As I Lay Dying- The Powerless Rise Review

|

This was my first As I Lay Dying record, So I personally can't compare it

to any of their previous records. I have heard quite a few

songs from AILD though and it doesn't seem

like they made any drastic changes to their sound.


The Powerless Rise starts right off with

"Beyond Our Suffering" a song that says

"Hi we are AILD, and we are going to rock your face off"

they don't pull any punches and just do what they do best.

"Beyond Our Suffering" isn't the best song on the album,

(in fact, it's just "OK"..in my opinion)

but it does grab you by the collar and let you know

you are in for a ride.


"Anodyne Sea" follows and is easily a favorite of mine

from the album. To be honest I've been listening to this album

for a couple weeks now,and the first couple of times I listened

all the way through it "Anodyne Sea" along with a few other

songs were the only songs that really jumped out at me as great.

However I must say that the album has really started to grow on me..


Anyways as for the song "Anodyne Sea" what can I say? I love

the clean vocal mix in heavy metal, which is probably why Demon Hunter

is my favorite band as they have clean vocals in almost every song.

"Anodyne Sea" has great lyrics and amazing guitar work

that sticks in your head. A must hear song...


Let me also say that through-out this whole album there is some

stellar guitar work and heavy drumming that will keep you coming

back for sure.


"Without Conclusion" is the next song which to me stands out more

for the Drumming then anything else. I also dig the lines

"In looking to the end, we have lost sight of where to begin"

but again really this song is being held up by the drumming.


"Parallels" is the fourth song on the album and like "Anodyne Sea"

it mixes the clean vocals, a very catchy chorus I might add as well.

This is easily another stand-out on the album and everything

to me from the Vocals,Drums and Guitars come together

perfectly.


"The Plague" follows and again feels they are hitting on all

cylinders. This song is fast and hard, and at first it was a song

that had it's moments, but now has really grown on me. Lyrics

really stood out to me before I even read them.


"Anger and Apathy" is the sixth song and didn't have to grow on me at all.

It was one of the first songs I heard and fell in love with right off the bat.

This song falls right in line with "Anodyne Sea" as far as all that I liked

about that song, this song has it. This is probably actually my favorite

song off the album.


"Condemned" comes screaming through as the seventh song,

it has some cool spots specially at around 2:25 with the guitar..

(sadly song is pretty much over at that point)

but isn't really a stand-out song to me at all.


"Upside Down Kingdom" was the final song that stuck out to me

on this album the first couple of times I listened through it.

Thats mainly because of the freakin awesome opening to the song...

the beating of the drums as the guitars slowly wail in is epic

to say the least. Love the whole song and the lyrics really stand-out

as well.


"Vacancy" is the next song and is a weaker song on the album

when you compare it with the rest. Actually I can safely say

"Vacancy" is the worst song on the album..


the next song "The only Constant is Change" is better

then "Vacancy" but that isn't saying very much.

Nothing really I can say about either of those songs...

positive that is.


The final song is "The Blinding of False Light"

so the question becomes does AILD end the album

off with a bang? well maybe not a huge bang...but

"The Blinding of False Light" does stand on it's own

and really shines through-out with it's guitar riffs.


In closing..I enjoyed this album...a lot actually.

It makes me wonder why I waited so long to actually

purchase a A.I.L.D album.





0 comments:

Post a Comment